The embassy of Israel, Stockholm
Ministry of Foreign
Planning + Urban Design
Project description: The tower, with its traditional corner structure, includes round windows and majestic turrets. The characteristics of the building originally rebuilt in the middle of the 19th century in medieval style by the architect Hawerman, are well preserved and remain as evident even today.
At the beginning of the 19th century, the building was converted into the first forestry school in Sweden. After the school moved out in 1916, the building was used by the Royal Ammunition Corps.
Since 1971 the building has been defined as a state-owned conservation building, it is considered a symbol of Swedish cultural tradition and it is under the responsibility of the Swedish National Property Council. Conservation regulations are very restricting, and no significant changes can be made to the structure, internal or external.
The project took place between 2011-2009. the building was renovated, and its purpose was converted into an office building. Today, the building serves as the Israeli embassy in Sweden. As part of the renovation, new technical infrastructure and a central heating system were installed. the building was adapted to the needs of the Israeli embassy, and although some changes were made in the interior plan, special solutions were used to allow the plan to return to its original state. The tiled doors, panels, and fireplaces remained as they were built in the mid-19th century.
A well achieved goal was preserving a fine balanced relationship between preservation of the architectural values and the rigid needs of security without compromise.